Guest post: My Point of View clay animation diary – Day 3
Today was mainly making bodies for the human characters and another shopping expedition to try and find epoxy putty and liquid latex. After doing some research online, I found a relatively simple and effective way of making heads out of epoxy putty, wire and liquid latex that would mean that the models would be much lighter and easier to animate. After a quick lap around the city to try and find these materials we came back disappointed but not empty handed. We found some very thin wire that has been used in the current plasticine bodies to give them some structure and now characters can move their arms and other limbs much easier. I also did a small scale test before creating a sidewalk set to see how I could create the look of cement. What I tried was a layer of sand stuck to a piece of cardboard with PVA glue before painting the sand black. I then used the same dry brushing technique used to create the stubble on the father character’s face but using a grey paint instead. After I had an idea of how it was going to turn out I then started to do the same thing but on a much larger scale. Several other props made out of hardening clay the day before are still drying and should be ready to paint tomorrow.