Guest post: My Point of View clay animation diary – Day 2

Guest post: My Point of View clay animation diary – Day 2

Guest post: My Point of View clay animation diary – Day 2

Comments Off on Guest post: My Point of View clay animation diary – Day 2

This post is the second in our series of guest posts by Callan, whose joined us to contribute to the My Point of View project. Check out the whole series here.

Today I met my first big problem of the project. While creating the body of the police officer, I realised that making the body entirely out of plasticine makes the model too heavy and during the animation process it will slump over, fall apart and generally be a pain to animate. Shots in the story board may have to be changed because of this; however it will not affect the narrative and will only mean that some shots that were planned to be continuous and involve lots of movement will instead need to be made more static.

photo1_e

Onto a more positive note though most of the props are either complete or near completion and filming should be able to commence within the next day or so. Before I started work at the office I created a small stone wall out of hardening clay, and as it is quite a large and solid model the clay took close to three days to dry. Eager to start filming I have learnt from this, and other props that are quite large I have broken up into several pieces so that it will dry quicker and I will superglue together later on.

I also experimented with different ways to create a stubble effect for the father character and have found what I believe to be the best answer. I previously tried tiny, black cylinders of plasticine stuck into holes in the face, however this was very time consuming and did not create a desirable final effect. The effect used today was created by lightly dabbing a tiny amount of black paint onto the lower half of the character’s face (also known as “dry brushing”) giving an illusion of an unshaven face.

Back to Top